Skip to main content

Animal Quilt - Center Panel Part 3

I posted about the quilt borders a few days ago by accident. I meant to post the center panel part 3 first but oh well. It's okay. Just pretend you didn't read about the borders first.

A few months ago, I decided to finish my center panel. I wasn't certain if I was going to thread paint it or not. It's a nice painting and I really didn't want to screw it up because its a really big panel to have to re-create.

But all the other animals are thread painted or at least the backgrounds are but I had some reservations about thread painting the rhino. When I used the white ink I had (like for the polar bear) it was a lot more opaque and dried harder than the other inks. So when I tried to thread paint over it it looked like giant holes where punched through the paint which looked really bad. So I avoided thread painting on white areas or ink mixed with white. And the rhino has some white on it and mixed with other colors so I was concerned it was going to look really bad.

But I took a deep breath and started thread painting. I didn't want to thread paint the entire thing because I knew I was going to have to do that to the background and I didn't want to ruin the painting. I just wanted to enhance it. I decided to started in the darkest areas first. I started with black embroidery thread and worked on the horns, ear, eye and mouth area. There's also a small spot of black on the legs/body which isn't shown.


I slowly worked my way out color wise from there. I went to dark gray, brown, gray/brown, silver and a gold/beige color and I focused just on the head area. I want the viewer to really look at the animal so I focused on the head/face area.


I added a little bit of thread painting to the body of the animal just to round it out but I didn't do much.

Since I'm added tall grasses in front of the rhino, I took a variegated thread and did some of the same grass shapes around the sides of the rhino so hopefully those "grasses" will look more like they're in the background. The rest of the background is just a meander stitch done in gold from the grasses up to the top of the panel.

I also started tucking the edges of the fabric around the tree and limbs to make them into an applique that I've started stitching down to the panel. I simply took some fusible tape, stuck it to the fabric edge, rolled the edge under and iron it. The edges are now nice and smooth. Fusible tape is now my new best friend.


As I was stitching the tree branches down, I decided the leaves I had made were not going to make it. They were just too small to have to try to sew down without a bunch of raw edges and that's not the look I'm going for. So I decided to paint more fabric and using my embroidery machine, I embroidered some leaf shapes and I'll applique them down. They're much bigger than what I had and look nice with a finished satin stitch and some leaf veins and stems. I think these leaves will work out nicely for my tree.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block C4

We're finally seeing hints of spring with temps in the 60's and 70's.  Trust me we're really happy considering how cold and long this past winter has been.  Seriously makes me think of moving to California but everywhere has its own problems so I'll stick with the ones I know. This is the second month of Jacobean Journey Quilt and this month we were assigned to do two blocks - C4 and D5.  I'll discuss block D5 in another posting just to space things out a bit. I have to admit I'm glad we didn't start out with these two blocks first, although that's what Hoopsisters starts you out with. At our last class, there were approximately 20-30 women there who were doing one of two Hoopsisters patterns, either Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star.  Those who brought their blocks in did a little show-n-tell and all of them looked really good and everyone seemed really pleased with everyone else's. TIP: Prepare all your fabric first!  Cut the appropriat