Skip to main content

Adult Coloring Pages

Every day our lives are packed with stress. We are constantly bombarded with news and its usually horrific or shocking from around the world. It's some kind of disaster (natural or otherwise), people being murdered, sold, abused, neglected or tortured. It seems the human race can and does on a regular basis sink further and further to new levels of violence on a daily basis and between TV, computers, radio and smartphones we are constantly hearing all about it.

So we need to find a way to focus our minds on something simple and block out all the garbage and let our minds find some peace. Even tasks such as crochet, knitting or video games takes a certain amount of concentration. If these tasks are fairly routine for your brain and is soothing or calming to you, by all means have a go. But there's another way to "zone out" and turn off your brain. Coloring.

Adult coloring books are all the rage right now. Amazon will frequently indicate a coloring book for adults is out of stock. I've even heard that publishers can't keep up with demand for coloring books. There's a nice selection of books out there for adults now. Flowers, animals, mandalas and more are just some examples of the kinds of books out there. Some even have treasure hunts in them. Like there are 42 bugs, 120 hearts in the book that you can find while coloring. I used to take a really large coloring poster into work with me and my set of colored pencils. Right after eating my sandwich, I would tape the corners down and get to work for the rest of the lunch hour. Eventually, other's joined in and it became a lunch time ritual, that everyone seemed to enjoy and found relaxing.

The whole point is to just color. Don't think about it too hard. Don't stress about the colors. Don't worry about staying in the lines. Once you get your brain to focus on coloring in the spot you're working on, you'll kinda zone out and then next thing you know you've lost an hour or 3.

I got the BIC Mark-it, ultra fine point markers in 36 colors and I really like them. They're on Amazon for $24.49. They mark quite smoothly and I like the colors. Some are very, very dark which kinda look more black but oh well. I've had these about a month and none have run dry yet and they got good reviews on Amazon. But you can use anything you like from colored pencils to crayons. It doesn't matter. There's a lot of different gel pens on Amazon too, just make sure you read the reviews of all the different packs. Some pens may last longer than others. The good thing is buying some markers and a coloring book, won't break the bank.



The first coloring book I got was Creative Coloring Inspirations which you can find here on Amazon as well for $7.00 or so. The pages are perforated and I would recommend you remove the page you want to work on because these markers will bleed to the back. They don't bleed much but they will mess up the next page in the book if you don't take it out or at least put some kind of blank paper behind it.


Here's a few pictures of the pages I've done from this book. I mostly rotate through all the colors. I like the designs to have a lot of complimentary and contrasting colors and I think it makes for a more interesting picture. But that's just me. I'm sure that whatever you choose it will turn out great. But remember, the point is to relax.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block C4

We're finally seeing hints of spring with temps in the 60's and 70's.  Trust me we're really happy considering how cold and long this past winter has been.  Seriously makes me think of moving to California but everywhere has its own problems so I'll stick with the ones I know. This is the second month of Jacobean Journey Quilt and this month we were assigned to do two blocks - C4 and D5.  I'll discuss block D5 in another posting just to space things out a bit. I have to admit I'm glad we didn't start out with these two blocks first, although that's what Hoopsisters starts you out with. At our last class, there were approximately 20-30 women there who were doing one of two Hoopsisters patterns, either Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star.  Those who brought their blocks in did a little show-n-tell and all of them looked really good and everyone seemed really pleased with everyone else's. TIP: Prepare all your fabric first!  Cut the appropriat