Skip to main content

Pork Ramen Noodle Soup Recipe TryOut

I've recently come across a few food blogs and I hope to try to duplicate some of their recipes right here at home for me and my husband. I have to admit, I've tried some recipes off the internet and didn't have much success. I consider myself a decent cook but I'm sure there's a lot more for me to learn. I decided, I would pick some recipes from each blog and prepare them myself and post about my efforts. One of blogs I stumbled across is Half Baked Harvest.

Usually this time of year, I'm thinking soup. It's winter here in central Ohio and after last year's fun with all the negative temperatures, we're not really expecting a mild or short winter for 2015 but believe me we're all hoping for an early spring. I have my tried and true soup recipes my husband and I really like, but let's face it, I like to cook and try new things. So I was out looking for soup recipes and I found Half Baked Harvest's recipe for Crockpot Crispy Caramelized Pork Ramen Noodle Soup with Curry Roasted Acorn Squash, which you can find here.

Just looking at it made me jealous that someone else has eaten it but I haven't. It's beautiful. The noodles, the rich dark broth, the greens from the onions on top, the richness of the egg and caramelized pork.  Seriously? Yeah, I'm in...

I went through the recipe and decided not to add the fish sauce or (I know, I know) prepare the curry roasted acorn squash, so I'm modifying it a bit. I did buy soy sauce, rice vinegar, curry paste, chili paste and Chinese Five Spice.  I'll probably reuse these ingredients while the fish sauce would have to be thrown out after this recipe. I don't like doing that so I just decided to leave it out. I also didn't see any acorn squash at the store but I'm sure I'll try it as as side dish to something else.

So at exactly 8 a.m. on a cold morning, I added a 3.5 lbs. of lovely pork to the crockpot, stirred together exactly what Half Baked Harvest told me to, poured everything over the pork, turned on my crockpot and left the kitchen to let the magic happen.


After 7 hours, the house smelled amazing which is definitely a good start.  I took out the pork and shredded it on a cookie sheet.  There's not much to it. You can take two forks and gently press on the meat and it falls apart then you can tear it shreds.  I admit it. I don't shred much. I like large pieces of meat not a bunch of strings. Just make sure you remove all the tendons and large fat pieces that are not that pleasant to eat.


After that, I strained my soup although Half Baked Harvest didn't mention to do this. After simmering in the pot for 7 hours, you've got a lot of bits in there and I thought it would be a nice way to clear the broth.  I put the broth back into the crock pot and added the ramen noodles and mushrooms and stirred it all together.

Now to caramelize the pork. In a large skillet, I added a little canola oil, some pork I drizzled with soy sauce, rice vinegar and brown sugar and let it caramelize nicely.  Just don't over crowd the pan. Each piece of meat should have some space around it.


I finished with the pork, which took about 20 minutes and put 1/2 of it back into the pot with the noodles and mushrooms. I put the lid on it and let go for another 20 minutes or so until I was ready for dinner. I julienned some carrots and green onion to garnish my soup bowls with.  I admit I forgot the egg on top but that's okay.


This turned out really good and my husband and I enjoyed this soup. The broth is really, really good, spicy and full of flavor. The pork is soft and delicious and its fairly easy to make so another win.  I can see adding more vegetables at the end such as cabbage or broccoli or baby corn to it. Either way its definitely a keeper.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block C4

We're finally seeing hints of spring with temps in the 60's and 70's.  Trust me we're really happy considering how cold and long this past winter has been.  Seriously makes me think of moving to California but everywhere has its own problems so I'll stick with the ones I know. This is the second month of Jacobean Journey Quilt and this month we were assigned to do two blocks - C4 and D5.  I'll discuss block D5 in another posting just to space things out a bit. I have to admit I'm glad we didn't start out with these two blocks first, although that's what Hoopsisters starts you out with. At our last class, there were approximately 20-30 women there who were doing one of two Hoopsisters patterns, either Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star.  Those who brought their blocks in did a little show-n-tell and all of them looked really good and everyone seemed really pleased with everyone else's. TIP: Prepare all your fabric first!  Cut the appropriat