Skip to main content

Cooking Class - NYC Series - David Chang

This class featured recipes from David Chang owner of Momofuku in New York. The first cocktail was a seven spice sour which was quite good. Sake marinated with spices and a bit of citrus can't be a bad thing. We also had ramen, shrimp and grits, rice cakes with red dragon sauce, Japanese pancake and chocolate chip cornflake marshmallow cookie. We also got a kimchi started for next week's class.

I think the consensus was that the ramen was great. A bit on the salty side but great. This dish actually takes 2 days to make so you're not going to making this from scratch after you get home from work. And for some reason, I didn't get a picture of the beautiful bowl of noodles with pork, veg and egg. Hateful. I know and I apologize for it but I assure you it was very good.

The japanese pancake was also very tasty. It was a thin pancake full of vegetables and sauce which was quick and easy to make.


The rice cake with red dragon sauce was hot and very good. Did I mention hot? The rice cakes were  kinda weird though. They're very dense and chewy and is what I image styrofoam peanuts taste like.  I'd rather have had a bowl of rice rather than the rice cakes. The sauce was really good and I can see that going over chicken, shrimp, pork or veg and rice. Everyone in class really liked the sauce and gave a thumbs down on the rice cakes so it was pretty unanimous.


Here's a picture of part of my lunch plate with the rice cakes and the shrimp and grits. The recipe for the shrimp and grits was really quite plain and we all thought it needed some kind of sauce or broth.



These cookies were from Momofuku Milk Bar called chocolate chip cornflake marshmallow cookie. They were okay but I probably wouldn't make them.

 


Our second week of cooking David Chang's recipes went really well. We had the Momofuku daquiri with pineapple rum, lime, sugar and absinthe for our daily cocktail, which I thought was really good. We made a fuji apple salad with kimchi and bacon, brussel sprouts with kimchi and bacon, peas with horseradish, grilled lemongrass pork sausage ssam, marinated steak ssam with lots of accompaniments, Winning Wontons and fried apple pies with miso butterscotch sauce and sour cream ice cream. Here's a picture of our lunch buffet.


The menu sounds a bit crazy but there was a theme of salty, sweet and sour coming together in different dishes. We got to use the kimchi in a few different ways which was interesting. Everything tasted really good although I still don't like brussel sprouts no matter how much bacon you put on them. Sorry, I just can't get behind those little cabbages.

   

The apple salad was crunchy, sweet and tart yet not overwhelming and the sugar snap pea salad was quite good. I could've eaten an entire plate of them.



The wontons were really good and everyone really liked them. These would be really good to make and keep in the freezer. Put them in soups or just have a sauce handy and either way they're good.



We had some trouble with our fried pies. The top and bottom dough wasn't pressed together very well and split open during the frying process.This was served with the miso butterscotch and sour cream ice cream. I would've preferred real butterscotch but the flavors were very good together.



So here's my lunch plate. I only take 2-3 bites of each because believe me we make enough food for everyone to take home some leftovers and I still had dessert to eat.

I've really enjoyed cooking these recipes. They were different and had some pretty unique flavor combinations.
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Outer Border

I've been working on the outer border for a while now and I'm about 75% done.  Out of 44 blocks I've got around 32 done so I'm getting there. I decided not to do a video of these blocks just photos. There's a lot of fabric placement and thread changes and trying to operate a camera at the same time is just begging for something bad to happen. So I decided not to risk it. Here's the border block and corners. They are the smallest blocks I've done for this quilt. The borders are 4.5'x6" and roughly 12K stitches and the corners are 4.5" square with around 9K stitches. Outer Border Corner The outer borders require some accurate piecing first.  The first piece for the corner is strips of fabrics 1 and 4. The second strip is made from fabrics 3, 1 and 4. In the top photo of the square, strip 1 is the white, brown, white and strip 2 is pink, white and brown. To make the square, stitch out your placement area. Then place strip 1, right si