Skip to main content

Art Quilt - Grandma Part 4

The quilting has begun!

The center portrait was heavily quilted. I used a several different threads for the skin tone and the blue shorts. The shirt, although its checkered, I only used white.



I took the pics using my phone while the quilt was still at the sewing machine, giving me the dark blob at the top but just ignore that. I tried to use a matching thread color for the skin tone areas and a dark. I tried to contour her face, legs and arms after all faces and legs are round not straight lines. So stick with curved lines over curved areas unless you want to simplify. I'll show you what I mean later.

The green of the flowers were a pain. I couldn't really see any shapes of the leaves among the green mass that was in the picture, so I made it up. Some quilting was curved and other areas were simply straight lines, the flowers were curved lines meeting in the center.


For the background of the quilt, I chose a fairly simple vine with curves, leaves and a few flowers. That will be all over the background areas between the colored pencil drawings and then I'll probably do a meander stitch in between everything else getting.

For the two portraits of grandma to either side of the main picture, I chose to simplify my quilting and did straight lines through the portraits using a thread color that blended in with the pictures. This really cut down on the amount of stitching, quilted it nicely and let the viewer see the portrait.



Next, I quilted the Ohio State "O" and the football helmet. The helmet has more detail but I mainly used a matching thread and rounded curves. I used a dark dark gray (almost black), gray, white and red for the block O and text. You can see a lot of the vines, leaves and flowers for the background in the picture below.



Next, I quilt the dog. I was not happy with the result but since I can't change anything I'll just have to swallow my unhappiness and move on. There was a lot of stitching for the dog and it puckered the quilt a little bit. Hopefully the rest of the quilting will straighten that out a little.



I still have a lot of background area and the upper right top corner with a cardinal in it to quilt but I'd say it's over half done. I just need to finish it and get the binding done.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with.


The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated!



This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue.  It looks li…

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Putting it All Together

I admit I've been bad.  I haven't posted in weeks. After putting some of the rows together for this quilt and fighting a lot with it, I've taken a break from my quilt and yesterday I took my machine in for an cleaning.  So let me tell you how I started putting these blocks together.

First, I started with my sashing.  All the sashing does is hide the seams from sewing the blocks together. When I was picking my fabric, I admit I just didn't care what my sashing looked like at this point, so its the same fabric as the backing.  To make the sashing, I used 1.5" strips x width of fabric and folded each side in towards the middle about 1/4" towards the middle and ironed. The ends are not quite to the center which is fine.


I still don't have all the inner/outer border blocks done yet but I did start putting some of the rows together.  I used an all cotton thread to sew the blocks together.  Just line up what designs you can (assuming there are any) and pin. Usua…

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all.


So my suggestion would be to …