Skip to main content

50th Anniversary Wall Quilt - Final

After quilting the background, I selected the border I thought would look best and got sewing. But I wanted a mitered border, which I've never done before. I watched several YouTube videos and of course they always make it sound really, really, easy and never once to they say "don't do X because then it won't work" or "watch out for Y." No. They simply say, "See its easy!" No. No it isn't.


Mitered Corners

The first step to mitered corners is marking your center panel. Mark 1/4" away from your corners in every direction. Sew your borders on the panel starting and stopping at the 1/4" marks.


Once you get all 4 sides done, your borders will NOT be sewn down in the corners. All the borders are floppy and weird at this point. Lay all your borders flat out so that they overlap (sorry, I don't have a picture). Mark with a pen, on each fabric with a  little dot, where the two borders intersect.

Next, fold your center panel in 1/2 on the diagonal. Match up your top border and bottom border right sides together. You should now have a big triangle, wrong side facing up. Take your bottom border and the SIDE border and line them up right sides together.




The center panel gets pinched in between as you can see. Now lay everything as flat as you can on a cutting mat with a 45 degree angle. Now, draw a 45 degree line across the border. This is your sew line. Remember that little mark you made when all the borders were laying flat and the two borders intersected?  That little mark should line up on the 45 degree line you just made.




Pin along the sew line. If you have a double border like I did, make sure you pin at the seam. You want to start up near the top but NOT as high as you marked. If you do, you will see stitching in the center panel and get a big pucker. Ask me how I know.

This was definitely the hard part. Figuring out where your stitching should start. I had a lot of trouble to the point where my fabric frayed to the point where I had to take off 2 borders, re cut the gold/brown fabric, re-sew it and then sew it back onto the center. Yeah, not fun.

I'm not sure I actually did this right but I'll tell you what worked for me. BEFORE sewing on the 45, lay your borders flat out criss crossing each other. At the corner where the fabric meets, stab a pin straight down. Flip it over and mark where your needle came through.  This mark will be on the back of the fabric after you line your fabric up and you have your 45. This mark may NOT fall on your 45, but each time I dropped my needle in that spot my corner worked. Also, something else I did was extend the sew line where I attached the borders, a lot closer than 1/4" away. After I got one of the corners on and it looked good but I had gaps where it clearly wasn't sewn down just before the corner. Not good.



In the picture above, I have a teeny tiny pucker in the corner, which I tore out and resewed. I simply couldn't stand it but that's what I mean by pucker. But otherwise a really good mitered corner. The seam is really out to a corner but the picture doesn't show all the fabric and the seam looks off but it wasn't.

The mitered corners were definitely the hardest sewing I've done on this project and I admit was ready to give up. I probably sewed about 20 corners on something that only has 4.

Applique Blocks

I laid out my blocks and once I was happy with them I sewed them together and then I sewed them onto the center panel and after looking at them I thought they were missing something.

I thought I'd cover up the seams between the blocks and I used cream fabric with gold flecks looked really nice. Subtle but nice. I got out my Clover 1/2" binding tip and made some strips. Next, I took my fusible tape, pressed it onto the seams I wanted to cover and pressed the 1/2" sashing over the tape and fused with the iron.

I took a light tan colored silk thread and hand stitched the sashing down. It took a while to hand stitch it but I like the look instead of machine stitching all over the front.

Binding

Then, I took the gold/brown fabric and cut 2.5" strips for the binding, sewed those together and got it stitched down on the front and hand sewed it to the back.

Label

I also sewed the quilt label to the back. You can put anything you want on the quilt label just remember to always put a title, date you completed your work, your name and contact information and if you used a pattern make sure to reference the pattern and author.
























































































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block C4

We're finally seeing hints of spring with temps in the 60's and 70's.  Trust me we're really happy considering how cold and long this past winter has been.  Seriously makes me think of moving to California but everywhere has its own problems so I'll stick with the ones I know. This is the second month of Jacobean Journey Quilt and this month we were assigned to do two blocks - C4 and D5.  I'll discuss block D5 in another posting just to space things out a bit. I have to admit I'm glad we didn't start out with these two blocks first, although that's what Hoopsisters starts you out with. At our last class, there were approximately 20-30 women there who were doing one of two Hoopsisters patterns, either Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star.  Those who brought their blocks in did a little show-n-tell and all of them looked really good and everyone seemed really pleased with everyone else's. TIP: Prepare all your fabric first!  Cut the appropriat