Skip to main content

50th Anniversary Wall Quilt - Part 2

I cut several squares of 20x20" in cream and white fabrics. I'm going to try a few different ways of doing this portrait of my parents and one will definitely be a "practice" square.

I took the picture I selected and started to draw my parents onto a piece of fabric. It was okay for my practice piece but it wasn't working out so well. So I decided to just make life a little easier and I bought a small projector on Amazon. I loaded the picture and within 10 minutes I had mom and dad projected on the wall onto one of my fabric squares and I was tracing an outline. I got 3 sketches done in 15 minutes and all of the proportions were right. 

My first portrait was done free hand and it seriously went wrong. Sorry, dad but you turned out kinda alien like. I figured I would just use this one to practice on. Painting with coffee turned out to be quite hard. First of all, you can't just make a cup of coffee and start painting. I guess that would've been just too easy to do. In case you're wondering, the tint is barely tan. I even made about 3 cups of coffee and boiled it down to about 1/4 C and it was just a light brown color. It was much darker after the boil but it was clear that to get a really dark color, I was going to have to do multiple applications or try to boil about 6 C down to 1/2C or something. I could do that but I'm not that determined. So I figure I'll go back to the inks.

Anyway, here's my practice attempt. I used coffee on mom and colored pencil. For dad, I just used colored pencil and there's a big difference. If I use inks I'll have to remember to get rid of any hard ink lines and when using colored pencil to make sure to use nice even pressured strokes preferably in one direction. I think the inks will come in handy for the really dark areas (hair and jacket).

Since the veil, dress, tiara and the background are all white, I thought I might try to iron some tulle down and maybe find a nice lace and put that down for the dress. But that white will probably be really bright which I don't really want. It may or may not work or I'll have to tint it a little with inks or soak them in some coffee. But its just an idea I'm playing with.




Mom turned out okay but not great. And you can see some really hard ink dry lines and bleeding (tiara). I think the ink/coffee should stick to general open background areas. Cotton fabric just wicks color all over the place and I really don't want to try to control it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block C4

We're finally seeing hints of spring with temps in the 60's and 70's.  Trust me we're really happy considering how cold and long this past winter has been.  Seriously makes me think of moving to California but everywhere has its own problems so I'll stick with the ones I know. This is the second month of Jacobean Journey Quilt and this month we were assigned to do two blocks - C4 and D5.  I'll discuss block D5 in another posting just to space things out a bit. I have to admit I'm glad we didn't start out with these two blocks first, although that's what Hoopsisters starts you out with. At our last class, there were approximately 20-30 women there who were doing one of two Hoopsisters patterns, either Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star.  Those who brought their blocks in did a little show-n-tell and all of them looked really good and everyone seemed really pleased with everyone else's. TIP: Prepare all your fabric first!  Cut the appropriat