Skip to main content

A Beautiful Saturday

Saturday, August 16 was just perfect.  You know the type of day where the sun is warm but not blazingly hot and there's a gentle, cool breeze that doesn't have a drop of humidity in it.  Days where no one has their A/C on, except that weird family you never see with their windows open and you're not sure they're human. Where even your black dog doesn't mind laying on the cool green grass out in the sun to grab a quick snooze, instead of seeking the deepest shade so she doesn't spontaneously catch fire. You know a perfect day.


Well, we just had one of those perfect days you normally get in late spring not mid-August. And I finally, got to see some butterflies including a monarch. I haven't seen a monarch butterfly for several years. They've probably been around but not in my yard. So this year I planted some milkweed to see if that would help.  The milkweed has been blooming since May when I planted it and absolutely nothing has found it except the milkweed aphids. No butterflies. Zip. Nothing. Not one winged creature until now.

On Saturday, I saw four eastern tiger swallowtails, a hummingbird moth and finally a monarch. The monarch went right to the milkweed, while the eastern tiger went to the verbena. The monarch fluttered about the flowering stems, while I snapped pictures from about 5 feet away and I didn't know she was laying eggs until the saw the picture with her abdomen wrapping up under one of the leaves of the milkweed.  I don't know how many eggs she laid but I'm hoping to see a few caterpillars.




According to Google, I can try to get rid of the aphids by squishing them or blowing them off with water or trying a bug B Gone spray but others say to leave them. The monarch caterpillar may actually eat the little protein crunchies as snacks.  Who knows?  Maybe I'll take a picture of a caterpillar eating one.



I also got several good pictures of the tiger swallowtail on my purple verbena. I love how its little proboscis is covered in pollen and the dark purple and green really make the yellow butterfly stand out nicely.

And of course, since it was such a nice day, I took a picture of one of the darker sunflowers that bloomed. It was nice of the deer to leave me a few so I figured I better photograph it. This is the first year I've planted sunflower seeds and a lot came up but they are definitely on the deer's menu. No wonder the doe around here are having triplets. Its not a huge flower but its still pretty.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Outer Border

I've been working on the outer border for a while now and I'm about 75% done.  Out of 44 blocks I've got around 32 done so I'm getting there. I decided not to do a video of these blocks just photos. There's a lot of fabric placement and thread changes and trying to operate a camera at the same time is just begging for something bad to happen. So I decided not to risk it. Here's the border block and corners. They are the smallest blocks I've done for this quilt. The borders are 4.5'x6" and roughly 12K stitches and the corners are 4.5" square with around 9K stitches. Outer Border Corner The outer borders require some accurate piecing first.  The first piece for the corner is strips of fabrics 1 and 4. The second strip is made from fabrics 3, 1 and 4. In the top photo of the square, strip 1 is the white, brown, white and strip 2 is pink, white and brown. To make the square, stitch out your placement area. Then place strip 1, right si