Skip to main content

About Me

Hello everyone! My name is Lisa and I'm new to blogging.  That sounds more like a confession doesn't it?  Well, that's okay.  Today is my 41st birthday (gasp!) and I decided to start a blog to inflict my life's activities on everyone my blog happens to come across. I enjoy cooking, crafts, sewing, quilting, embroidery work, dogs, nature in general and photography.  I live in a small suburb of Columbus, Ohio along with my wonderful husband of 17 years and our 2 year old german shepard mix, River.  I worked as a paralegal for 12 years before a series of layoffs left me permanently unemployed. After hearing "your over qualified" or "this is entry level" from everyone who granted me an interview out of hundreds or even thousands of applicants, I realized that I just didn't have to work for someone who couldn't understand that I wanted to work, had great experience and entry level position was just fine.  I simply got tired of trying to make them understand that I wanted a job and that was my reason for applying. Nope, nothing sinister there.

So here I am several years into my second round of layoffs, creating a blog.  And just so everyone knows, comments are welcome however any comment I deem offensive or inappropriate will be deleted.

So let the blogging begin....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Trunk Show

On Saturday, January 17, I went to my local quilt shop, Quilt Beginnings, and everyone who made either a Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star quilt last year brought in their projects. Some were finished, close to being finished or still in pieces.  Below is my quilt.  Its brown, cream, peach and a melon like color.  The blocks have been really fun to do and putting all the blocks together have definitely challenged me and some of the other ladies I spoke with. The next two pictures, are of a mother and daughter and their quilts.  They have a similar theme with black, gray, red, white and dark gold color. When asked if they were going to attempt to do the next Hoopsister's embroidery quilt "Sewn Seeds," which there's a sneak peak of at the end, they both said, "Nooooooooooo." Also, these guys say they're novice sewers but I think they've graduated! This lovely lady, did her Jacobean Journey quilt in red, pink, white and a very light blue

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block A3H8

We finally started the applique border blocks of the Jacobean Journey quilt this month and the instructions that I was given was a little... well, confusing.  According, to Hoopsisters the instructions for several blocks are the same so they don't want to print different blocks with the same type of instructions.  So their solution was to draft the instructions using a sample of the blocks with pictures for that one block. However, additional blocks do not get their own set of pictures but share the same instructions.  For example, if a block has only 2 fabrics (say 1 and 4) you follow instructions A, which will have pictorial examples of only 1 type of block, which may or may not match the block you are currently stitching out.  So this was fairly confusing for me since my Babylock doesn't show file names just pictures and my pictures didn't match the set of instructions (or so I thought) I received since the pictures didn't match at all. So my suggestion would be

Jacobean Journey Quilt - Block C4

We're finally seeing hints of spring with temps in the 60's and 70's.  Trust me we're really happy considering how cold and long this past winter has been.  Seriously makes me think of moving to California but everywhere has its own problems so I'll stick with the ones I know. This is the second month of Jacobean Journey Quilt and this month we were assigned to do two blocks - C4 and D5.  I'll discuss block D5 in another posting just to space things out a bit. I have to admit I'm glad we didn't start out with these two blocks first, although that's what Hoopsisters starts you out with. At our last class, there were approximately 20-30 women there who were doing one of two Hoopsisters patterns, either Jacobean Journey or Feathered Star.  Those who brought their blocks in did a little show-n-tell and all of them looked really good and everyone seemed really pleased with everyone else's. TIP: Prepare all your fabric first!  Cut the appropriat